Topic of the scientific and technical program: “Assessment of fresh groundwater resources as the principal source and long-term reserve of sustainable drinking water supply to the population of the Republic of Kazakhstan”.
Executor of the Program: Ahmedsafin Institute of Hydrogeology and Environmental Geoscience LLP.
The Program is aimed at scientific substantiation and geo-information and analytical support of sustainable drinking water supply to the population of the Republic of Kazakhstan due to the fresh groundwater resources.
1) Assessment of the features in formation of renewable and predicted resources of fresh and slightly saline groundwater in the Republic of Kazakhstan in conditions of climatic and anthropogenic changes.
2) Regional studies to identify, prevent, mitigate or eliminate negative processes affecting groundwater resources as a result of anthropogenic and natural and climatic influences.
3) Assessment of availability, state and prospects of using fresh and slightly saline groundwater resources for drinking water supply to urbanized and rural areas of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
4) Substantiation of prospective water demand and development of scenarios for sustainable drinking water supply to large and small cities, rural settlements.
5) Substantiation of options for drinking water supply to the urban and rural population in emergencies of a natural and man-made type.
6) Development of scenarios to manage the fresh groundwater resources in the event of transboundary threats.
7) Justification of ways to transfer the fresh groundwater for drinking purposes to water-deficient regions.
8) Development of recommendations to prevent, weaken or eliminate the negative processes affecting groundwater resources as a result of anthropogenic and natural and climatic influences.
9) Organization of the state reserve fund of undeveloped explored deposits of fresh groundwater.
10) Justification of the organization and creation of underground reservoirs to collect and store the flood runoff and meltwater.
11) Development and creation of a geo-information and analytical subsystem of fresh groundwater resources of drinking quality for assessing, forecasting and making managerial decisions on their use and protection.
Relevance:Many countries have had to use groundwater more frequently due to the shortage of fresh surface water. This is explained by the fact that groundwater, as a source of water supply, has a number of advantages over surface water. As a rule, groundwater is of better quality, more protected from pollution and contamination, less susceptible to seasonal and long-term fluctuations, and generally, its use does not require expensive water treatment measures. The trend of the maximum possible use of groundwater for drinking water supply to the population, especially due to the increased incidence of unforeseen (emergency) pollution of surface water sources, is currently becoming a determining factor in the overall global strategy of increasing the reliability of drinking water supply systems.
The relevance of the fresh groundwater resources development in Kazakhstan is increasing when solving the problems of acute water shortage. This problem was highlighted among the main global challenges in the 2050-Kazakhstan Strategy: “Water is an extremely limited resource and the struggle for possession of its sources is already becoming a major factor in geopolitics being one of the causes of stress and conflicts on the planet.” It was noted that “The problem of water supply is acute in our country. We do not have enough quality drinking water. A number of regions are in dire need of it”. The list of state tasks of the 6th Policy – “Green” economy and environmental protection of the 2025-Strategic Development Plan of the Republic of Kazakhstan, the need to improve the efficiency of use and protection of water resources is highlighted.
The expected outcomes of the Program are aimed at effective management of national fresh groundwater resources to ensure sustainable drinking water supply for the country’s population in the long term. The research results will make a scientific and applied contribution to the development of arid hydrogeology in terms of the management of fresh groundwater resources to ensure sustainable drinking water supply for the population in the long term.
Argumentation of scenarios and options for effective development of proven fresh groundwater reserves contributes to an increase in the volume of available water resources within the implementation of state programs; attracting investments of national companies and private enterprises in the implementation of projects for centralized drinking water supply systems for urban and rural populations; improving the conditions for water supply to regions that suffer from a shortage of drinking water.
The social effect includes solving the problems of shortage of clean fresh water; increasing coverage of urban and rural population with centralized drinking water supply systems; practical implementation of scientifically grounded assessment and recommendation materials; ensuring public health; increasing the sustainability of water supply to the population and economic sectors; increasing national water security and sustainable development of the country.
INFORMATION about the program executors’ qualification and work experience, main publications, Hirsch Index, references to the profile in the database, role in achieving the goal and getting the expected results
Main results for 2021
A geoinformation-analytical subsystem of thermomineral and industrial groundwater of Western Kazakhstan has been developed.An assessment of the heat-energy, mineral-raw materials and health-improving potential of underground waters in Western Kazakhstan, the state and trends of changes in the hydrogeochemical indicators of underground waters in Western Kazakhstan under the influence of natural and climatic changes and anthropogenic loads, and recommendations for reducing negative consequences were carried out.
List of published works
- Section in the monograph:
Decarbonization of Extractive Industries in the Republic of Kazakhstan: Potential and prospects for the development of hydrogeothermal energy in Kazakhstan (Absametov M.K., Каn S.M., MurtazinE.Zh.)//under edition of Doctor of Gelogical and Mineral Sciences SerikbekDaukey.-Nur-Sultan: Bi-PRINT.-2021.- P.137-155.
2.Каn S.М.,Itemen N.М., ТleuovaZh.T. Potential and prospects for the development of hydrogeothermal energy in the natural and economic systems of Kazakhstan //InternationalScientificandPracticalConference “WaterResourcesManagementintheContextofGlobalization», Almaty, 11-12 March 2021. P. 129-135
3.V.Rakhimova, T.Rakhimov, Eu.Sotnikov, O.Miroshnichenko, E.Murtazin, D.Muratkhan. Mathematical Model Of the Balkhash Lake Coastal Zone//48 IAH Congress, Inspiring Groundwater, Brussels Belgium, Book of Abstracts, 2021, p.156.